YoM Day 166: dreaming of honor

Yesterday, I talked about doing something you love for work. Today is a new day.
"Honor lies in honest toil." - Grover Cleveland
Last night I had a really vivid dream where I was running freely with a woman and we came across a hidden grotto that housed an ancient temple. We found this grotto through free-falling down cliffs that would blast us back to the top with gusts of air. She playfully pushed me off the cliff and I fell into the grotto, which was nearly pitch black in the darkness.

The gust of wind failed to get me out of the grotto, but I managed to be blasted close to the grotto's opening, so I tried to climb out of it while hanging on to the ceiling. The woman warned me to not come out yet because it was dangerous. I peeked my head out and saw a bunch of giant leeches crawling toward the opening and I knew that they were after me. So there I clung to the ceiling, needing to figure out what to do. I decided to see where I was and what was inside this cavern.

I used my phone to create some light and found that below me was a massive statue that was likely worshiped by followers hundreds of years ago. From there I had the sense that I had to explore what was inside and uncover all of the secrets within. I knew that it'd be hard to do this while avoid being eaten alive by giant leeches, but I felt a sense that this place was calling me and I had to do everything I could to figure out the mystery. Then I woke up. Damn, it's always when things start getting good, too.

As a child the concept of honor was something I would attribute with glory. To me, honor meant doing great things and giving your family a good reputation through your actions. I likened heroes to be honorable because they did great things and were "good". Over the years, this has changed to an image of someone who goes to whatever lengths and effort in order to do what they must. Someone who answers the call of duty and does it with earnest enthusiasm.

Compared to as a child, I think my idea of honor isn't so different from how it is now, just expanded. It is by doing things with all of our effort that what we're doing becomes great. It's not just the result of what we do or its caliber, but how we go about doing it. There's no honor in someone who saves the world by pressing a single button. There's no honor in accidentally saving someone from death. Sure, the end result is great, but pressing a button can be done by anyone without effort. There's no heart and dedication involved in doing something by accident. To take glory from that is like half-assing life.

To me, honor is something that you need to bust your ass for. Honor isn't something to be passed around to everyone like an elementary school participation medal. To me, honor is reserved for those who try their best at whatever it is they do. That takes real heart. In a weird way I think that's one thing my dream was trying to tell me. It's not the results that define us, it's the time and dedication we've put into doing them that do. I feel like I need to put more effort into what I do. No half-assing it.

                                                                                                                         Peace
Call of duty
It's not what we're doing that's important, it's the heart behind it that truly define us.

Comments

  1. What is honor to you?

    What have your dreams been telling you lately?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment