YoM Day 162: give it some heart

Yesterday, I talked about remembering to be grateful. Today is a new day.
"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Dwight D. Eisenhower 
When observing a fight people generally like to assume that the bigger fighter is going to win. We've been conditioned to believe that "more is good" and "bigger is better", so it makes sense why we'd come to that conclusion. However, while strength is a big factor, so is skill. Most importantly, if 90's action movies and anime have taught me anything, it's that heart is what really counts.

A huge fallacy people have is that being smarter makes us greater. If that is true, why do so many intelligent people end up "unsuccessful" in life? How intelligent we are is only one requirement for survival, but like everything, there needs to be a balance. We also have to consider priorities, motivation, effort, whether we're utilizing our intelligence in a way that caters to our strengths, and luck. In some cases, being at the right place at the right time is all it takes to get a huge break.

Another way to look at it is through the art of cooking. It's not always the quality of the ingredients that makes a dish delicious, it's the care, consideration, and effort put in by the cook that make a dish truly shine. In a relationship, sometimes the intentions of our partners are more important than their words or actions. With music, how passionately we play can count more than how "correctly" we play. This trend applies to many aspects in life.

Having the will to do something increases how willing we are to focus on something. The more we can focus on the task at hand the better our results tend to be. Someone who isn't interested in their work tends to perform worse than someone who's passionate about it. As such I think it's important to keep in mind the importance of putting in as much effort as possible whenever we decide to commit to something. How you do something is how you do everything, so leaving room for half-assing it is like sabotaging your own potential.

One thing I need to work on is applying this my own life. Perhaps it's the Japanese mentality that's getting to me, but I want to try taking things more seriously in that I want to do my best. I don't want to make excuses for things going wrong, instead, I want to say that I did my best but my best wasn't good enough. When my best isn't good enough I can work to improve it, and admit that we have room for improvement is how we can keep growing.

                                                                                                                           Peace
Effort
There's always a chance at victory for those with the strength and willpower to keep fighting.

Comments

  1. What have you decided to fully commit and give 110% to doing?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment