YoM Day 161: grateful for the thorns

Yesterday, I talked about being okay with taking the long way. Today is a new day.
"Some people grumble because roses have thorns; I am thankful that the thorns have roses." - Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr
After spending all day yesterday resting up I'm feeling like a million bucks. I'm not fully recovered, but compared to yesterday the difference is night and day. Although they're never fun, it's when life takes a dump on us that we can learn to appreciate the good things more.

If everything were always great we'd soon get used to it and take it for granted, like the spoiled child who gets everything they ask for without question. It's when things go awry that we start thinking about how much we liked the way things were before. In relationships, it's the old saying, "you don't know what you've got until it's gone" talks about the same thing. More than anything, the tough times can help to teach us gratitude.

I think life intentionally throws shit at us every now and then as a means to keep us in check and not let our egos get the best of us. Rather than grumbling over getting sick I should appreciate the fact that I'm healthy enough to have overcome it. I am grateful that it only lasted a few days and that I didn't need to go to the hospital. I'm thankful that I had time to just rest and think about life.

Overall, these last few days have been a positive experience that have helped to humble me and has left me to think about what else I can be grateful for.

                                                                                                                           Peace
Gratitude
Feels good to be alive

Comments

Post a Comment