YoM Day 152: who we become

Yesterday, I talked about daring to do things and believing in ourselves. Today is a new day.
"It's never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot
My senior project in high school was a co-created manual on how to become a guidance counselor. In it, I described various steps we need to take in order to become a counselor at a public school and the various career paths that could branch out past counseling. I wanted to become a guidance counselor, but as I went through college and learned more about the politics involved with counseling and starting your own private practice I grew to reconsider my future.

I felt that I unless I spent the next 8-10 years of my life in school and working toward a doctorate and an additional year or two getting my private practice certification, I wouldn't have the freedom I seek in being a counselor. I also felt the immediate need to get into a full-time career and build upon my skill sets. I was impatient. After graduating college and seeing how much more work was needed in order to simply start counseling was needed, I sort of gave up on the idea of counseling. I felt that dream died and looked toward other options.

One thing becoming a teacher and interacting with all sorts of people has done for me is show me how many of us give up on our dreams because of one reason or another. It's shown me how we all have dreams and aspirations for ourselves. Sometimes things don't go the way we planned them to and our lives get thrown in all sorts of different directions. We can't always predict where we'll go and we might even change our minds. However, that shouldn't stop us from becoming who we truly want to be.

When I think about it, I'm still fairly young. I still like the idea of helping kids find their passion in life and being a guidance counselor at a school would be a great experience. I'd have to go back to school and pursue my master's and then spend a year or so getting certified, but if I really want it, there's a way to make it happen. In a way this blog has been a means to counsel and give guidance to myself. It's also helped me improve my own writing. This could've been necessary in order for me to be ready for the next step in my education toward my next goal.

On the other hand, I now see that who we want to be isn't necessarily how we imagine it. Creating this blog and practicing mindfulness has shown me another alternative: helping people isn't limited to counseling sessions. There are plenty of workshops and lectures online I can learn from and apply that knowledge in my daily life. If I can help people through my work, be it as a teacher or through this blog, my art, or just being a friend, I wouldn't so different from a counselor. The only difference is the setting and the relationship I have with the people I interact with.

I'm keeping an open mind to the possibilities and changing the lens in which I see who it is I want to become. My goal is to help people achieve their dreams. I want to help people heal their emotional scars. I want to help people realize their potential. I can be that person as a counselor or as many different things. The possibilities are limited by my imagination. So long as we're still alive and kickin', it's never to late to chase after your dreams and become who you wanna be.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

                                                                                                                        Peace
who we become
Who will you become?

Comments

  1. Who do you want to become? What can you do to become that person?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment