YoM Day 151: dare to believe

Yesterday, I talked about becoming what we think about. Today is a new day.
"It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult." - Red Jacket
I was at the gym the other day and it was leg day. I honestly hate working out my legs, but I know that have to do it and can't skip. I've been working toward increasing my weight and decided to up the load again, but I wasn't sure if I could do it. Before starting my squats, I reminded myself to not doubt myself and tell myself "I can". The first set was kind of hard because I still had traces of doubt; but once I realized that I was able to complete a full set my hesitation melted away and I knew that I could do more. I started to believe.

Sure enough during my second set I felt a lot more confident in my ability to push through and I felt a surge of energy that helped me complete the whole routine. Had I let myself continue to distract my mind with wondering "can I", the doubt behind each rep and each set would make the workout a million times more difficult. Although the workout itself was difficult, what really makes it hard are the mental limitations we place on ourselves. When we let our mind waver with negative thoughts we lose focus and that prevents us from giving it our all. In this way, our doubts become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Anything we do is affected by our mentality. When it comes to difficulty, our attitude toward it makes a world of difference between whether it's doable or impossible. Our self-preservation instincts would like us to calculate things before trying them, but inaction is sometimes the worst thing we can do. We can think all we want but we'll never truly know until we try, so we might as well take a leap of faith and do the best we can. Can you really expect yourself to do well when your mind is full of negative thoughts? Of course not!

Nobody starts out amazing at anything, so whether it's learning how to draw or teaching yourself coding, you just have to try and take things one step at a time. It might be difficult, but you shouldn't let that keep you from taking steps toward reaching the top of the stairway. It's all about the grind and you can't get to the top without taking a chance to try things, believing in yourself, and working hard.

One thing that has helped me believe in myself more is to stop putting such high expectations on myself. Rather than putting pressure on myself to perform well, I'm learning to keep an open mind and just learn from each experience as I can. I'm only human, so it's be silly to think that I should be amazing at everything because I want to be. It's not so easy, so don't worry about it.

In the end, we are our greatest obstacle. When we don't believe in ourselves, we become our own worst enemy. Believe it.

                                                                                                                              Peace
believe in yourself
"If you do not see it and if you do not believe in it, who else will?" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comments

Post a Comment