YoM Day 148: it's okay to ask

Yesterday, I talked about dreams. Today is a new day. 
"Cats seem to go on the principle that it never does any harm to ask for what you want." - Joseph Wood Krutch
Yesterday I decided that I want to get a new phone so I can have a decent camera to take videos while I'm on the go without having to lug around a bunch of clunky devices. I had some trouble figuring out which carrier to go with (as the one I'm currently on is trash) and out of the blue a few friends came over to chat. I asked them if they could give me some advice and they told me a lot of valuable information about Japan's campaign system and what places would likely give me better deals. Having saved a lot of time otherwise spent doing research and comparing prices, today I plan to finally get my new phone. The one phone to rule them all.

When was the last time you genuinely asked for something? Sometimes, that's all it takes to get what we want. Of course people might turn you down, but at least you tried. Something so simple makes the difference between doing nothing and making an effort, even if it's a little one.

Looking back on my life, a lot of things have happened as a result of me asking. I make a lot of decorations at my school and are now encouraged to because one day I thought it'd be fun to do that for the kids. I asked my boss and she was totally for it. I've had people offer me jobs because I asked to learn more about them. I'll even ask my friends to buy me ice cream sometimes and they'll usually say yes (because they know how much I love it). I never expect things to go my way, but in asking we're putting our desires out there to be known by others. By doing this we're showing our true colors and when we're being authentic people tend to respond in kind.

It's easy to get into the mindset that we have to do everything on our own. Sometimes I forget to even consider simply asking for something. Maybe I'm afraid of rejection, maybe I think that there's no way things could be that simple, or maybe I might not think I deserve a yes. Whatever the case may be, I can't know until I try and the worst that can happen is far less impactful than all of the benefits that can come from it.

                                                                                                                       Peace
It's okay to ask
When they're being completely honest (and adorable) like that, how could you say no?

Comments

  1. Try asking for something and see what happens without any expectation for its outcome.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment