YoM Day 147: dreaming for tomorrow

Yesterday, I talked about getting out of our head. Today is a new day.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -  James Dean
The last few days I've been making efforts to remember my dreams better. Before going to sleep I make mental notes to myself to try remembering my dreams so I can analyze them and see what sort of things my subconscious is trying to tell me. I firmly believe that the subconscious is the realest measure of getting to know myself. No denial, no stretching of the truth, no bullshit.

Many hold that dreams are a result of our brain trying to process and make sense of all of the information we've picked up throughout the day. For dreams that are prophetic in nature, you could say that it represents the brain trying to predict what might happen in the future based on what we've processed. There are many theories on what dreams are for and what they mean.Whatever the case may be, our dreams are without a doubt a gateway into the subconscious mind.

I like to look back at my dreams and see how they relate to my experiences. When I have really messed up dreams (ones where I die, something tragic happens, or I wake up really sad from what I dreamed about), I like to think about why such a dream even came up. I'm forced to look back at how I've been feeling lately, things I might have done differently or regretted doing, and events that might have influenced me having a particular dream.

My dreams often tell me two things: One is that I have a strong desire for growth and envision a world that's very different from how it is now. The other is that I have a lot of fears and insecurities to overcome in order to achieve the change that I desire. Facing my dreams head-on and seeing my insecurities has actually helped me put mindfulness into practice and overcome them. It's hard to put into practice, but instead of being in denial and placing fault on to the world, taking responsibility and owning up to your faults makes you more authentic. The more I've practiced trying to be authentic the more I've noticed that this practice has translated into a more positive lifestyle.

Today presents a chance for us to be our best, and our dreams are there to help us live toward a better tomorrow.

                                                                                                                         Peace
dreams
What are your dreams telling you?

Comments

Post a Comment