YoM Day 145: understanding truth

Yesterday, I talked about adapting like water. Today is a new day.
"I do not understand Buddhism." - Hui Neng (the Sixth Patriarch of Zen)
If there's one thing I've learned about religion or any sort of spiritual practice is that we all have our own interpretation of what's going on. Growing up in a Buddhist household, I certainly know some things about Buddhism, but no matter how much I study, no matter how much experience I have, there's still a lot I don't know about and will always not know about. To put things into perspective, there's a library's worth of content from various Buddhist philosophers all around the world that all share their own interpretations of Gautama's (the original "Buddha") teachings.

For example, some might conclude that the mind rather than matter constitutes the deepest level of reality and is eternal as everything begins with our conscious experience and ends when we die. Others might deny that the mind can exist independently of matter and instead conclude that the self is an illusion because we still don't have the answer to what the self consists of or where it really is.

Similar to any form of expression, spirituality is something that I think reflects our own values and beliefs. The conclusions we form are a result of our character, which is why there is no single consensus as to what Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, etc. truly is. The "ultimate truth" is dependent on the practitioner. We cannot fully understand Buddhism, or anything else for that matter, because there is always something left for us to uncover; another perspective to look from.

This applies with all aspects of our lives, too. Whether it's fitness, relationships, etc., we all have our own beliefs in what "should be" and what's "right". What might work for one person doesn't always work for another. We're all different and so I think it's important we find our own truths and learn from those who came before us. One reason I've begun studying other philosophies is so I can expand my view and learn from all of them. To me, the value in these practices isn't in simply following them, it's learning from them and incorporating things in your life that work for YOU.

                                                                                                                   Peace
truth
"Don't take my word for it, seek your own truth." - Buddha

Comments

Post a Comment