YoM Day 144: adapt to the situation

Yesterday, I talked about thinking for ourselves. Today is a new day. 
"With every gust of wind, the butterfly changes its place on the willow." - Basho 
Today I woke up a little later than usual and had to adjust my schedule accordingly. Although inconvenient, I was still able to do my normal routine of brushing my teeth, eating breakfast, and then going to the gym. As Shakespeare wrote, "all's well that ends well".

Life throws a lot of curve balls at us and things don't always go as we expect them to. It's unavoidable, however, it's what we do about it that's important. In the same way that the butterfly simply carries on with its business each time the wind makes it relocate, we can choose to let the unexpected bother us and ruin our plans or we can learn to adapt and carry on. 

Have you ever watched kids play? They play a bunch of different games and make up all sorts of new rules that don't make sense. For the most part they just roll with it until they get bored or someone doesn't like the rules. Then they change them again and keep playing until they're tired. It's a great exercise in flexibility and adaptation. If such experimentation was practiced in our daily lives, whether it's at work, cooking, or coming up with new exercises, imagine how much we'd learn?

Working with kids has helped me increase my own creativity, whether its the games we play in class, the ideas I come up with, or how I approach dealing with the unexpected. When things go wrong I don't get worked up over it, but instead shrug it off and think about how I can handle the situation one step at a time. Instead of trying to plan everything out I've started to focus more on what I can do now and how that can help lead me to where I want to go.

Imagine a river. The water running through it will encounter many rocks and other debris, but water always adapts. Put water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When the water encounters the rocks in its path, it goes around it and carries on as if nothing happened. To flow like water means to not fight what lies in our way, but to adapt and carry on. Become the cup, flow past the debris. The more we practice going with the flow, like any skill, the faster and more efficient we become at doing it.

If life throws you lemons, make lemonade or dodge them.

                                                                                                                         Peace
flowing water
There will be many bumps on our journey, but that shouldn't stop us from reaching our destination.

Comments

Post a Comment