YoM Day 143: finding our way

Yesterday, I talked about committing. Today is a new day.
"I respectfully decline the invitation to join your hallucination." - Scott Adams
In this age with so much to keep us occupied, whether it's Netflix, Youtube, various social medias and news sites, or games, there's an endless source of things for us to consume through the internet. The rabbit hole runs deep. Have you ever heard the fairy tale, The Emperor's New Clothes? There's a lot of bullshit in the world and that goes unnoticed by the masses. A lot of it is there as "entertainment" to distract us from the real issues going on in the world.

From childhood we're fed information on how the world works and what's going on around us. We're given "the truth" from our parents, peers, and various authoritative figures. Although we go to school to learn basis skills, we're conditioned to follow the crowd (because the majority knows what's right, right?) and do what we're told like good little machines. We're expected to go with the norm. This, I refuse.

What is normal, really? I think it's subjective as cultures have different values and thus what is normal for one culture might very well be considered insane in another. Despite being taught that the world is very diverse and that people hold different values, going against the norm is still something that results in scrutiny and being ostracized. It's a weird contradiction. Yet if all we do is follow the crowd, are we really living? Sure, we might be accepted by the group, but what about our own needs? What about our own beliefs? Our own expression?

Being skeptical of things - whether it's what's written in our textbooks, "reputable" news sources, or other general trends - is something I felt wasn't really taught or encouraged when I was growing up. Somewhere along the way it was like I lost myself. Even during my university years, where students are expected to challenge their assumptions and expand their minds, if my ideas were too "outlandish" they would go ignored. We're taught to be open-minded, but I think being skeptical is also necessary in balancing out sorting the truth from the bullshit. If we just accepted everything told to us (being too open-minded) then are we really thinking for ourselves? On the other hand if we deny everything that doesn't conform to our beliefs then we're likely too rigid and end up inhibiting our own growth.

In thinking for myself and focusing on the things that bring value to me I've been able to learn so much about myself and grow so much. A big part of finding myself required me to question everything that I was told to be true.  Another was taking into consideration the perspectives of those around me and seeing how my own findings coincided with theirs. I cross-compared everything to form my own conclusions. In doing my own research on things I've come to find my own truths and because I was the one that came to these conclusions I am taking responsibility for my own life and decisions. The benefit of this is that it's given me what I feel is a clearer understanding of what I want to do with the rest of my life. I'm finding my own way.

To me this is the mark of the scholar: never be satisfied with your conclusions and see what else these is to be discovered. There's always something to learn and so my search will never end.

                                                                                                                            Peace
Questioning everything
The more I question my assumptions the more clearly I see that there's still more for me to learn. More room for growth.

Comments

Post a Comment