YoM Day 142: do or do not

Yesterday, I talked about being more willing to do things. Today is a new day. 
"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back
One of my dreams is to become strong enough to bench twice my weight and squat three times my weight. I have a long way to go, but today I went the gym as usual and started feeling like I was making progress again. I'm really sore from my workout and I'm eating some chicken stir fry with red peppers, green onions, and eggplant as a post-workout meal. Yum.

The biggest lesson I've learned from going to the gym is the importance of consistency and just going to the gym. The key to creating consistency is making a routine out of something. Even if I feel like not going I sometimes force myself to go and once I'm there everything's okay. Just going reinforces the desire to keep doing something and tells the brain that there's value in what you're doing. If you want to change your lifestyle you just gotta do it. No excuses.

If I told myself "I'll try to go to the gym today" that gives me a way out. Maybe I'm "too tired", maybe "I don't have time today", or whatever. There are a million things I could think of to keep me from going and the moment I let myself have a "way out" my focus will eventually waver. I think this is why Yoda said these iconic words to Luke Skywalker during his training. In order to create an unbreakable conviction to do something you have to develop the proper mentality. You either go big or go home. Saying you will do something as an absolute helps us focus on our goals. Either I commit to going to the church of iron and work on myself or I don't and end up half-assing it. This is the difference between those who make real progress and those who don't.

This can be applied to all of our goals in life. We either commit to developing ourselves or we don't and end up half-assing everything. We might get somewhere EVENTUALLY going the later route, but imagine how much further you would have gone had you fully committed your time and energy to doing that one thing? You'd be worlds apart from the you that just kinda tried.

I've been working on incorporating this in my own life. It has helped me go to the gym 3 times a week (I'm working toward 4), write this blog every day, and taking time to work on my art or practicing the piano. Along with creating a habit I've also developed more confidence in doing the things I want to do. It is with this confidence that I have become more certain that I can achieve anything I really put my mind to.

The sky's the limit. Never give up.

                                                                                                                          Peace
To do list
What will you commit yourself to?

Comments

Post a Comment