YoM Day 141: being willing

Yesterday, I talked about riding the winds of life. Today is a new day. 
"Zen means doing ordinary things willingly and cheerfully." - R. H. Blyth
I have a tendency of putting things off that I think aren't going to be fun. I let the thought that it's gonna suck make me lose all motivation to do it. I end up closing off my mind from doing things that might benefit me in the long-run, but the ego craves instant-gratification and places a lot of importance in the now. This attitude ends up creating a self-fulfilling prophecy and makes doing things I assume to not be fun end up sucking.

Although zen doesn't actually mean anything, it represents a belief and a way of life. A life of balance. To me, a big part of living a balanced life is learning to see the good (and bad) in everything. In other words, seeing things from different perspectives and not sticking to our conditioned biases.

This morning I went to the local ward office to get my new address officially documented and put on my residence card. I figured like any visit to a government office, it'd be boring, so I brought a book with me and just went with the hope that I'd get a good read in. What went from a dreadful wait turned into a pleasant break from my day-to-day routine (normally I'd had been at the gym around that time). I started my day out in a positive tone and now the rest of the day is looking pretty good.

Whether we enjoy something or not depends on our attitude. Rather than searching for pleasure and satisfaction in the things we do, learning to appreciate things for what they are helps make even the boring things more enjoyable. Just being willing to try doing things makes a world of difference. This mindset starts with saying "yes" and being open to experiences.

                                                                                                                        Peace
Being willing
In being open to experience, who knows what might await us?

Comments