YoM Day 140: riding the wind

Yesterday, I talked about understanding. Today is a new day. 
"I learn by going where I have to go." - Theodore Roethke
Sometimes I like to just follow my instincts and let life take me somewhere. I've gone hiking in complete darkness while tripping on shrooms, I've purposely gotten lost in the woods to see if I could find my way back using only my instincts, traveled to places "just because" and ended up having an amazing time, etc. Some of the best moments in my life have come from doing things on impulse and not letting myself over-analyze or think about everything.

In other words, just going with the flow

Although things won't always work out wonderfully, however, even when things turn awry there's still something to gain from such experiences. They tell us what we can avoid in the future and where we still have room for development.

I've been hesitating to do a lot of things lately. Part of me is overthinking the what-ifs and I keep putting things off. My latest art piece, in particular, has been filled with a lot of doubts. One side of me wants to just work on it and see where I go with it, the other wants it to be perfect. It's like my doubt is a little devil sitting on my shoulder trying to convince me that I have to keep thinking of the perfect piece and that I cannot work on it until I can imagine what that will be. What materials should I use? What colors? How should I arrange everything? 

Although I've come up with some ideas, there's also the doubt in my own skill to be able to pull them off. The most frustrating part, however, is that I know that I won't achieve anything until I start acting. I just have to paint and even if it's not what I originally imagined, that's okay. I have to let go of my own expectations and perfectionist thoughts and just ride with the wind.

This means being more open to acting on the ideas I come up with and accepting that if I make a mistake it's okay and not necessary to spend all of my time "fixing" them. Sometimes mistakes make our works better. I can't count how many times I've adapted my art pieces around the mistakes I've made. More often than not, it helps me come up with ideas that I normally wouldn't have and it made my piece better than I imagined.

Whatever crossroads we come across in life, it's in times like this that help remind me that some detours are just life's gift to us that help us evolve.

                                                                                                                              Peace
riding the wind
The seeds of the dandelion fly off toward wherever the wind takes them. They ride on until life tells them to settle down.

Comments

Post a Comment