YoM Day 133: man in the mirror

Yesterday,  I talked about the world being as we see it. Today is a new day.
"The world is a looking glass and gives back to each of us the reflection of our own face." - William Makepeace Thackeray
I love Michael Jackson. He may have had his quirks (don't we all?), but his songs were catchy as hell and he spread a lot of good messages. One of them being to work on the self. "If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change" is a famous line from his song, "Man in the Mirror" that particularly resonates with me.

When thinking about the problems that are present in the world I think about what I can do to help make life better for the people around me. However, if we expect to change the world that means we too must change in order to create an influence on others. When I look in the mirror, I see someone searching for purpose. I see someone wanting to do great things. One thing I want to do is make others happy. In order to do this, I must work on building a lifestyle and mentality where I can be at peace. If I'm not happy, how can I expect to make others happy?

In working on myself I've focused on a few things: being more open to things, taking better care of my diet, staying active, drinking more water, and doing things that stimulate my mind. When I meet new people I work to not be judgmental and be mindful of what's going on. I know that the body and mind require balance in order to function well, so I've cut down on junk food, cook more, and eat healthier in order to fuel myself with good, strong energy. I exercise 3-4 times a week in order to keep my body sharp and by doing so I have more energy to do things, which in turn helps my mind stay healthy. Drinking water has so many benefits to us that can't be ignored and is basically the nectar of the gods. One reason I write this blog on a daily basis is to promote critical thinking, but as an added bonus it also builds discipline, which I can translate to other aspects of my life.

The more I've worked on myself I've noticed that life has become much better for me, particularly my ability to be a positive influence on others. Anyone I've ever talked to who has taken it upon themselves to improve their life has noticed the same thing. I firmly believe that if we all worked on making ourselves better the world would in turn be a better place. In making change, we can all start with the reflection in the mirror.

                                                                                                                          Peace
reflection
What do you see in your reflection?

Comments

Post a Comment