YoM Day 130: having fun

Yesterday, I talked about just going for what we want in life. Today is a new day.
"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm." - Henry David Thoreau
Middle school was an interesting period in my life. People who used to love Pokemon were now "too old for that kid stuff" and now everyone was obsessed with growing up and being "mature". As we grow up, that sense of being "mature" sometimes sticks with us and although the things we used to love as kids are still amazing, they begin to lose their shine as we insist that such things are "for children, not adults". To me that's horse shit. It was like people stopped wanting to have fun any more. That's what "becoming an adult" looked like to me as I was trying to deal with all of my teenage hormones. It sucked.

Japan has strict expectations for adults. For example people who still read comics as adults are often seen as childish (which is ironically viewed negatively considering their obsession with youth) and in order to "grow up" you have to dedicate yourself to your job, and raise a family. Of course a lot of people in Japan don't want to conform with that ideal, but the stigma remains and prevents a lot of people from really expressing themselves and having the fun they want.

I'm turning 27 next week and although I spend more of my time writing, working, going out on adventures, etc., I still enjoy playing video games and watching anime. It's something I'll probably always enjoy doing even as I grow older. There's no such thing as "too old" to like something. Of course, cognitive development is a thing and our tastes to change, but that doesn't mean we can't still have enthusiasm for the things that bring us joy. I like animated movies that are generally catered to kids. I love the creativity and imagination that goes into them. So what? You like yo-yos? Cool. Do your thing, mate.

To me the main difference between kids and adults is their ability to have fun. Kids can have fun with anything. Got a ball and a basket? They love trying to throw the ball into it. They love it even more when you give them a challenge. They don't even question what they're doing. They just roll with it and make the best of their situation. That's what gives them the spark in their eyes. Adults tend to be more mentally fixated, so at first they might ask what the point of throwing a ball into a basket would have for learning English, but they miss the key part: having fun makes learning more enjoyable. When you enjoy what you're studying you're much more likely to retain the information. The same is true with life.

The splendor of youth isn't simply feeling and looking young. Our mentality makes a huge difference in how we perceive everything. Learning to enjoy and make the best out of every situation like my kids do has helped me regain my insatiable curiosity for the world. By obsessing over youth we end up feeling older. Instead, I'd rather have fun with life. The more fun I have the more alive I feel and to me that's what youth is all about.

                                                                                                                                Peace
Stay young
Sometimes the silly things are the best.

Comments

  1. What are some things you've stopped doing because you are "too old" to do?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment