YoM Day 129: afraid to live

Yesterday, I talked about being helpful. Today is a new day.
"Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity. They seem to be more afraid of life than death." - James F Bymes
One of the things that almost kept me from moving to Japan was one simple thought: "what if it doesn't work out?" I was so concerned with trying to ensure that my future was secure that it almost kept me from trying something I really wanted to do. After weighing in the pros and cons I realized that it didn't really matter. If I really want to do something I should just try going for it. Here I am a year later with no regrets that I took that leap of faith.

I've been a little stuck in my art as of late. I keep thinking to myself that I want to surpass my last creation. I set high expectations for myself so I end up thinking too hard on ideas and end up not drawing anything for a long time. Rather than trying to force the ideas out, I've learned that just taking time to doodle will end up producing these ideas naturally. I need to develop my skills as an artist and if I don't practice I won't improve.

I've always known this, but putting it into practice is the difficult part. Yet when I decide to ignore the voices and just act I find that it's actually quite easy. It's as if our doubts are just a test to see if we really want something. It's like the difference between really wanting some tacos and getting your dream job. I can do without the tacos no problem, but my dream job? Missing out on it would be a huge downer. In the same way that I just moved to Japan without letting my doubts hold me back, I just have to start drawing. Just do it.

We end up missing out on a lot of things because we let the voices of doubt convince us to "play it safe" instead of really going for our dreams. I can't even count how many times I stopped myself from doing something because "nah, I shouldn't" popped into my head. Franklin Roosevelt once said, "the only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today". We become our own worst enemy when it comes to reaching our potential. Regardless of what could happen, if you truly care for something the best we can do is try. If we're afraid to pursue what really matters to us, an we really say we're living?

                                                                                                                                  Peace
leap
Run toward whatever it is you're after and take a leap of faith.

Comments

Post a Comment