YoM Day 128: helpful

Yesterday, I talked about practicing what we preach. Today is a new day.
"In about the same degree as you are helpful, you will be happy. " - Karl Reiland
Whenever I find myself being unable to answer a students' question it hurts my pride and I feel a little useless. Yet when they thank me for what I am able to teach them, it's like what I'm doing really matters. It feels good. Yet in this crazy, busy, world we sometimes forget that it's just as important to also do things for ourselves as well.

Whenever we try doing something for ourselves we're telling ourselves that we are worthy of love and acceptance. In neglecting our needs we're sending a message saying we don't deserve respect. If we can't be bothered to take care of ourselves, how can we expect to help and take care of others? The more we look out for ourselves the more we tend to feel good about life. Like the cat-lady who takes care of her dozen of cats better than she does herself, I think people who focus solely on others have an imbalance of neglect toward their own health. We are all given one body and mind to traverse and interact with this world. If we don't take care of it, what are we really saying about ourselves and how we view the world?
 
One thing I do to motivate myself to exercise on a regular basis is let myself indulge in things like a chocolate or ice cream bar twice a week as a reward for working hard. In looking forward to these treats, I'm helping myself stay fit, but it's also making them all the more delicious because I know that I worked hard to earn the right to eat them. This simple routine helps bring happiness and excitement to something that for many would normally be difficult to maintain. It also helps me eat more healthy on a regular basis as I'm learning to control and satisfying my cravings in a healthy way. Had I not given myself a reward system, I'd have to rely solely on my drive to improve, which is possible, but much more difficult to keep up.

I think a good way to learn how to be helpful to others is to first understand how to better help yourself. The lessons we learn in doing so can be translated to anyone we encounter. The reverse is also true. In helping others, we also learn what we could do to help ourselves. They balance each other out.
 
Try doing something helpful today. See how it feels.

                                                                                                                              Peace
help
Be it to yourself or others, help is always appreciated.

Comments

Post a Comment