YoM Day 126: a thankful present

Yesterday, I talked about how we're all connected. Today is a new day. 
"The reason we want to go on and on is because we live in an impoverished present." - Alan Watts
I have a lot of dreams that I want to realize within my lifetime. These dreams tend to stem from a desire to both feel fulfilled in life and to leave something behind for others to carry on. Most people have these same feelings and I think a lot of it comes from a sense of needing to fill an emptiness within our lives.

When I was younger I didn't really think or care about the future. I was happy and wanted to play all day. As an adult I still want to play around all day, but I also have the urge to be responsible, productive, and do things like exercising, eating healthy, working, etc. in hopes of living in a better tomorrow. The thought of dying now scares me because I have so much I want to do. In growing up I've seen what could-be and have inadvertently conditioned myself to always strive for improvement - for more.

Although seeking improvement is important for our growth, I also think it can be dangerous when left unchecked. In a lot of ways it's kept me from fully appreciating what I have in the present. I've often been told that I should go about living every day as if it were my last because doing so would make me appreciate what I have now and that I don't need anything else in order to be fulfilled. This is something that I tend to forget and need to work on more.

I'd say that I live a pretty comfortable life compared to most other people in the world simply by living in a first-world country. Things are pretty good for me. Yet despite knowing this I sometimes feel like there's a hole needing to be filled. Whether it's my job, my social life, or myself, a lot of what motivates me ends up being me trying to attain new heights as a way of hopefully filling that hole.

Funny enough, this hole can never be fully filled and I think we all know this deep down, yet we try anyway. I've been working on seeing the beauty in what I already have and it's shown me that in learning to be content with our lives it won't matter if we died tomorrow. To me, living each day as if it's our last doesn't mean to simply do the things you want every day. Rather, I think it's more about learning to see how much we can be happy and grateful for in the present.

Thank you for your time, and have a great day.

                                                                                                                              Peace
sunrise
More than anything, I'm just thankful to be alive and well.

Comments

Post a Comment