YoM Day 121: moments of happiness

Yesterday, I talked about prioritizing the important things in life. Today is a new day.
"I have now reigned about 50 years in victory or peace, beloved by my subjects, dreaded by my enemies, and respected by my allies. Riches and honors, power and pleasure, have waited on my call...In this situation, I have diligently numbered the days of pure and genuine happiness which have fallen to my lot. They amount to fourteen." - Abd Er-Rahman III of Spain (960 C.E.)
We're lead to believe that if we obtained riches, status, and power we're guaranteed to live a life of freedom and happiness. It's the end-goal for the American "dream". Work hard enough and you'll succeed and all will be sunshine and rainbows. Unfortunately, this dream is only focused on the superficial and doesn't care about the journey to success nor the character built along the way. It values one thing: results, which I think is why so many people become miserable when walking down this path.

When I think of the happiest moments in my life, they've always been days that I've spent with other people. I remember the time I tried magic mushrooms. My friend invited me to try some with him after some exams and we both wanted to explore the woods. We ended up going through a journey in the dark and as our eyes adapted the effects of the mushrooms kicked in. Colors became more intense and the leaves laying on the ground became more distinct and had illuminated a path for us to traverse the trails. We ended up coming across a cave and decided to lay down inside to look at the ceiling. Our imaginations went wild and we saw all sorts of pictures within the shadows. What followed after was an adventure in the dark without a care for the world. It was amazing and an experience I'll never forget. So simple, yet it was genuine and pure.

Examples like that are pretty rare though. Happiness can be found in everyday activities. Simply talking with some friends, sitting down, and looking at the clouds together has given me a lot of really stimulating conversations. Moments like this aren't filled with crazy music, action, or anything lavish. We're just laying on the grass and looking at the clouds. It's so simple, but in such simplicity comes less need to conform to anything or worry about acting a certain way. These moments are quiet and they let me be completely myself. Moments like this make me happy.

Although having fame and fortune would be nice and make life more convenient in many ways, I don't need any money to look at the clouds. I don't need money to go hiking and enjoy a moment of silence in nature (except for some snacks. Hiking is better with snacks). Happiness, to me, is when I can be authentic with myself and to the people around me. For me, that's most enjoyable when I'm doing something simple with good company.

What moments bring you happiness?

                                                                                                                        Peace
Pure
Sometimes simple is best.

Comments

  1. When have you been the most happy? How often do you have pure moments of happiness?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment