YoM Day 120: important things first

Yesterday, I talked about the power of possibility in saying "yes". Today is a new day.
"I neglect God and his Angels, for the noise of a fly, for the rattling of a coach, for the whining of a door." - John Donne
Whether it's the sound of all sorts of machines running in the background, the conversations going on around us, or being lost in our devices, there are distractions everywhere. These distractions often keep us from focusing on our thoughts and what we need to do be doing. To the religious, God can be considered the voice of guidance that helps us get to where we were meant to go in life. He and his angels are what show us our destiny when we heed their call. However, I think they also represent the important things in life.

Life is filled with many layers, and figuring out which aspects mean the most to us can be difficult. The lesson of the Jar of Life is one that reflects this idea. We're busy with work, school, raising our family, socializing, dealing with all of the changes going on in our lives, playing video games, watching TV, out partying, or being glued to our devices that our priorities tend to be jumbled. There's a lot of small stuff keeping us occupied and depending on how we fill our jar we may not have room for the really important things like family, friends, our health, etc. In the same way, if we don't listen for the voices of guidance and let ourselves be consumed by distractions it's easy for us to stray from the path.

As I've gotten older I've been working toward filling my life with more of the things that matter to me. Of course I still indulge in playing video games, watching shows, and not being productive, but I've learned to make more time for work, keeping in touch with friends, staying healthy, and working on self-improvement. I had a long skype call with my parents this morning and it was nice being able to connect with them despite our physical distance. Yet when I was younger and more caught up in the smaller stuff, even though I was living with them there was a sense of distance. The problem was my mentality and priorities.

When I realized that there had been distance created between us I started thinking about how I could better care for the things that matter most to me. With this change in my priorities my life feels less monotone and much brighter than I ever knew it could be. All I needed was the right things in my jar.

                                                                                                                            Peace
Jar of life
What will you put in your jar?

Comments

Post a Comment