YoM Day 118: saying yes

Yesterday, I talked about being more open to experiences. Today is a new day.
"To say yes, you have to sweat and roll up your sleeves, and plunge both hands into life up to the elbows. It is easy to say no, even if saying no means death." - Jean Anouilh
Have you ever seen the movie Yes Man? It's an inspirational movie that's about a guy that decides to say "yes" to everything for an entire year and it has an important message: life can only experienced when we learn to be open to experiences and step out of our comfort zone.

I'm generally the type that enjoys his free time. I like a good night out every now and then, but for the most part I prefer to stay at home when I'm not working or going out adventuring. Sometimes the only thing I want to do is stay home, relax, and be comfortable. It feels good to just zone out and not have to think about anything. I've even flaked out on meeting up with some people because I've felt like doing nothing was better than something. After all it's easy to turn things down because then we don't have to take any responsibility for them. Missing out on something is "safer" than having a potentially bad experience. However, I've also never regretted going out with people despite having to fight my desire to stay at home.

Some of the best experiences and insights I've had came from saying "yes" to things even if they didn't sound so great at first. I always gained something valuable from the experience and I always came out more open to things than I was before. This has translated to so much growth in my life. Along with my openness to doing new things, it's helped me learn to let go of my expectations and any frustration that comes when things don't go exactly as planned. Had I never branched out of my comfort zone I would've never moved to a different country. I never would've invested money into projects I wasn't guaranteed to get anything out of. I never would've started this blog.

Getting out of the comfort zone is something that forces us to grow. If we went about going through the same routines every day eventually we'd start to stagnate. If nothing changes there's nowhere for us to go. If you don't want to go anywhere that's alright; stay the same. However, if you have goals and aspirations you need to grow in order to achieve them. We cannot know what we've never experienced and so in order to broaden our horizons we need to illuminate the dark and see what secret treasures might lay hidden. It's like an open book waiting for us to read its chapters. You gain all sorts of knowledge. You It's like exploring a dungeon to find what loot you can find. You won't know until you go find out.

                                                                                                                              Peace
Endless possibility
Like the splashing of color on a blank canvas. The possibilities are limitless.

Comments

  1. Try to say "yes" to some things where you'd normally say "no" to. Try doing something new. What did you gain from the experience?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment