YoM Day 117: openly experience

Yesterday, I talked about the history in our DNA. Today is a new day.
"I embrace emerging experience. I participate in discover. I am a butterfly. I am not a butterfly collector." - William Stafford
The butterfly represents hope, change, life, and most importantly, our journey. They're vibrant, free, and live for themselves. A growing trend in entertainment these days is vlog-esque videos that showcase the lives of others. In the age of the internet, a lot of people are living vicariously through others and youtube has become an enormous platform for it. Like the butterfly collector that admires the beauty of the winged insects, they spectate the beautiful and awe-inspiring lives they wish they could have. While it's nice to know what could-be, it means nothing when we ourselves aren't taking any action in our own lives.

Although being a kid comes with a lot less responsibility and a relatively stress-free life, the main downside is that you have no real freedom. You're dependent on your parents for your livelihood and you have to go to school. I had some great times in my childhood, but being an adult is so much better because I can live the way I want to live. I'm doing things my own way and it feels great.

Sure, with great power comes great responsibility, so while we gain independence as we grow up, we must also take responsibility to manage our lives and the opportunities we allow ourselves. Life is full of opportunities waiting for us to take them. In order to have a good life, we first have to live. To me, this means being more open to trying out different things, interacting with new people, and having new experiences.

It's very easy to fall into routines in life, especially when you're working a full-time job.  It's easy to feel the stress of work one day and just want to stay home and not do anything. I get it and sometimes it really is important to take a moment of silence and just rest. However, it's also just as important to get out of your comfort zone from time-to-time and take that invite to go out with your friends. Sometimes the detours in our lives (whether it's traffic, a setback in our goals, or going down a different path than you planned) are necessary and help us learn the most. If I only did things I thought were interesting I would have never figured out what I really like and what I can do without in the future.

Since coming to Japan and starting my journey on mindfulness I've had a lot of students invite me to do things I normally wouldn't have done on my own. I've gone to pubs, clubs, went to a chakra workshop, went vacationing with people I've recently met, etc. I've become much more open with people and their opinions, which has also made me more patient (Japan's culture plays a big role in this, too). Every day has something new to offer. It's on us to take notice and let things play out.

Like the vast world we live in, the adventurer's path must also be open and free.


                                                                                                                             Peace
Openly experience
Space, representing limitless possibilities, is like our journey and the many paths we can walk down.

Comments

Post a Comment