YoM Day 81: showing appreciation

Yesterday, I talked about learning to love selflessly. Today is a new day.
"The deepest craving of human nature is the need to be appreciated." - William James
It's human nature for us to want to feel "good enough" as we grow up. Nothing makes us feel more like shit when we feel like we're seen as useless and unworthy by others. We need to feel needed, and being appreciated for things helps satiate this need. One of the things I least like is being taken for granted. I think most people don't like it when we do something for others and it gets brushed off like it was nothing, as if it were to be expected of you.

I think all of us are guilty of not showing our full appreciation for things from time to time, especially when life has all sorts of crazy things going on at once. There's so much for us to keep track of in life it's natural that we'll neglect some things every now and then. Sometimes I need to remind myself to stop for a moment and consider how good I have it in life and it helps to humble me. In these moments I usually think about things to be thankful for and it helps me relax. It helps me see that what I'm doing has value and that I should appreciate the things that allow me to live the way I am.

Today I appreciate being able to live comfortably. I appreciate having friends and family that support me. I appreciate having a job that lets me utilize my creativity. I appreciate having a healthy mind and body that enables me to do what most other people can do. I appreciate living in a time with so much to do and possibility for growth. I appreciate all of you reading these daily reflections.

                                                                                                                          Peace
You're worthy
You are amazing. Appreciate yourself.

Comments

  1. Today's assignment: try finding as many things to appreciate as you can. Make a list and review them at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment