YoM Day 51: Give and Take

Yesterday, I talked about reaching out and giving people the benefit of the doubt. Today is a new day.
"It is better to give and receive." - Bernard Gunther
Some people are leeches. They take and take and never give anything back. It's like someone at Costco taking all of the samples and not buying a single thing. When you're acquainted with such people, they'll suck you dry until you have nothing left for them to take. When that happens they magically disappear or are always "busy" doing other things (like leeching off the next fool). Not to sound too bitter, but I've encountered such people and it feels bad. Like getting stomped on by some sharp stiletto heels, you're left feeling hurt and a bit hollow.

On the flip-side, being the one who can't give anything back sucks, too. I've recently been in the company of so many people who have shown me their appreciation by giving me gifts from their trips, buying me lunch, etc. and when I give back it feels great, as if balance has been restored. To be clear, I'm not giving out of a sense of obligation or guilt, either. I do it because I want to and it makes me feels good when I do.

Rather than being a leech or having someone leech off of you, it feels great when the balance is in place. This is especially true when it's not based on obligation, but when it's just mutual appreciation and respect. Those are the types of relationships I've come to value the most in my life. They say you're the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with, so instead of hanging out with people who just take from me, I've been working toward spending time with people who share a genuine interest in me. It's a win-win.

                                                                                                                       Peace
Give and take
It's a balancing act

Comments

  1. Today's assignment: Receive from others and give something back.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment