A Touch of Personality - YoM Day 324

Ten months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 324. Yesterday, I talked about your dreams being like a compass that give our lives direction. Today is a new day. 
"Personality is everything in art and poetry." - Johann Wolfgang vonn Goethe
I was listening to the Earthbound soundtrack last night, and was reminded of how much of a masterpiece that game is. It was ahead of its time, strayed from the conventional mold of game design, yet was also so familiar. Even to this day it remains a unique gem that has inspired games like the critically acclaimed Undertale (which I'd also consider a masterpiece in its own right). For those who don't know, Earthbound (also known as Mother 2) is a game in the Mother game series. Anyone who has played the Super Smash Bros. series on Nintendo consoles might recognize the name of the series from the characters Ness and Lucas.

What really struck me about this game was how personal a lot of the underlying themes were. The director, Shigesato Itoi created the series, despite being an amateur in the industry, because he had a huge passion for gaming and decided to write down notes on a game he'd want to create. The stories he made are filled with personal anecdotes and that really helped players relate to the messages he was trying to convey. For him, the series was a passion project, and that's why I think it has so much personality and soul in it. To this day fans are enamored by the spirit that's in those games and even though I haven't played the whole series, I can't help but love it.

"Soul" is a real buzzword when it comes to memorable works of art. When I think of my favorite works (One Piece, Earthbound, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Chrono Trigger/Cross), I think about how much passion had gone into them. Whether it's the music, the story, the way the characters interact, or how much detail is put into the world, there's something that makes them feel real. One thing they all seem to have in common is the incorporation of things that inspired them. In One Piece, references to everything from real life pirates, to Dante's Inferno, to Alice in Wonderland are present throughout the story and they reflect the creator's personality. That's what gives it heart and I also think that helps make these works timeless.

Putting my own personality into my own work is something I'm striving to do as a way of staying real and expressing who I really am. Having soul is the key to leaving behind something that's not only meaningful, but can reach others as well. That's kind of the point of life I think - sharing and leaving something behind. That's how we live on. In a lot of ways I consider my writing one of my passion projects. My art is one I'm working to develop. In having something you can put yourself into you can also find focus and direction in life. The more I've worked on these daily reflections or my other hobbies the more I find myself understanding what really matters to me and how I want to spend the rest of my life. It feels nice.

What can you put your soul into?

                                                                                                                Peace
Personality
If art is expression, then what better way than adding a touch of personality is essential in truly making it stand out from the crowd. 

Comments

  1. What's something you've put your heart and soul into?

    Have a great day~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment