YoM Day 19: Thinking too much

Yesterday, we talked about being comfortable in your own skin. Today is a new day.
"It is not healthy to be thinking all the time. Thinking is intended for acquiring knowledge or applying it. It is not essential living." - Ernest Wood
I'm the type that has sparks of inspiration at night. It's the ultimate sleep-killer. My mind was racing last night as I was thinking about everything from past relationships to what I was going to do today. I even found myself playing songs in my head to match the emotions that were flowing through me. The next thing I knew 2 hours had passed and my mind kept cranking thoughts out left and right.

Whether it's my shirt not fitting quite the way I like it, something that happened earlier that moved me, or the many projects I've found myself working on throughout these last few months, I am guilty of always thinking about something. My friends often tell me that I think too much and they're right. Sometimes I think so much that I get paranoid and it creates a vicious cycle of thoughts. It often causes more problems than it solves.

Sometimes it's the simple things in life that are the most enjoyable. While thinking can be useful, it's not essential for living a good life. Some of the most carefree people I know are also the most satisfied with their lives. Characters like Goku or Luffy live their lives carefree and in the moment. They have dreams, but they've also mastered the art of enjoying the moment and living according to how they want to. Although they're fictional, such people inspire someone like me who has struggled to be as in-the-moment.

One reason I like to meditate is because it helps me calm down my constant stream of thoughts. It forces me to focus on my breathing, which helps me let go of the thoughts that come in. When I breath I have to keep the rhythm, so I can't let myself be consumed by the background noise. When I focus it also lets me throw away the doubt and hesitation I have when doing things. Because I think so much I often try to take everything into consideration before taking action, which has made me miss out on a lot of opportunities. When I focus, it grounds me.

When I think of focus, I don't necessarily mean thinking solely on one thing intently. Instead, I think of the master, which executes their craft flawlessly with minimal effort. To become a master also means to fully embody what it is you do to the point where you no longer have to think about what you're doing while you're doing it. Like in martial arts, you've practiced and refined your technique to the point where you automatically move rather than having to think about where you're going to strike. It is both being completely immersed while keeping the mind empty. This state is often known as flow, or being in the zone.

In my case, I experience flow when I do my art, meditate, exercise, and play the piano. They're my means of letting go of my thoughts while at the same time being hyper-focused. In these activities I'll have moments of complete clarity and relaxation, like a mental high. It's different for everyone, but we can all achieve it through doing the things we're the most passionate about. Some people might not have something like that yet, and that's okay. Try branching out and learning new things.

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump


                                                                                                                        Peace

Thinking too much
Sometimes the cogs in the mind work too hard. It's important to take breaks every now and then.

Comments

  1. Today's assignment: Practice not thinking. Attend to the spaces between the thoughts rather than the thoughts. Let your thoughts fade away as quickly as they came.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment