How we do anything is how we do everything - YoM Day 308

Ten months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 308. Yesterday, I talked about creating habits through routines and sticking to them in order to make progress. Today is a new day.
"The way we do anything is the way we do everything." - Martha Beck
Today I saw some friends at the gym and decided to wear my glasses instead of the usual contacts and they commented about my eyes, saying they didn't know I had shit vision. I let them try on my glasses and they were surprised at just how bad my vision really is (if I remember correctly, it can't be corrected to 20/20 through normal means). While in America, I entertained the thought that I could heal my eyes naturally without the need for surgery. Sure, I was pretty baked at the time, but as I was doing some squats it came to me: what if I put more effort into training my eyes so that my vision naturally gets better? 

I've had glasses since I was a kid and thinking back I was also very lazy in a lot of ways. I'm the type that easily gets sucked into TV or video games if I'm not careful and I've spent my fair share of time consuming it. The problem with that is that it requires little to no effort to do, so rather than going outside and really training my eyes in all sorts of ways (other than piano, but I didn't really practice that much to be honest) they probably ended up getting lazy. Since I've never actively made efforts toward keeping my vision up, it's no wonder why my vision has been in decline since I was a kid. In the same ways our muscles atrophy and get weak when we don't train them, so does our body and its senses. 

In a lot of ways I can see how my bad visions reflects how I've lived a lot of my life: I used to be all play and no work. I used to not care too much about school and did enough to get my parents off my back but never really pushed myself unless it really interested me. I had ambitions, but often didn't follow through with them because I'd either hesitate or not want to put in the necessary work to get things done. Fucking around all day and having fun can be nice, but as I've gotten older I've started to realize where that road leads and to be honest I don't think it'd give me any real satisfaction. Only a cycle of depression and trying to escape from it.

We're always living in circles. Our lives have patterns, but that's not always a bad thing. It just depends on the patterns we choose to get ourselves caught up in. Some people end up repeating their mistakes and never get anywhere. That's a bad example that I'm all too familiar with. On the other hand, what about the cycle of growth? Striving for improvement, working toward it, then finding the next step toward realizing our dreams and potential. That's the kind of life I'm working on. It's a slow process (change usually is), but I'm getting there.

How we do anything is how we do everything, so as someone working toward self-improvement, I plan to set aside 10 minutes of my day to just training my eyes and hopefully make my eyes stronger and healthier. If that leads to improvements in my vision that's great. If not, then at the very least this change in my lifestyle will reflect in other aspects of my life and I'll reap the benefits there. Either way it's a win-win investment.

                                                                                                              Peace
Lifestyle
Who we are and how we live are reflected in everything we do. Changing one thing means changing everything.

Comments

Post a Comment