Showing you care - YoM Day 299

Nine months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 299. Yesterday, I talked about being there for the ones you hold dear to yourself. Today is a new day.
"I follow three rules: Do the right thing, do the best you can, and always show people you care." - Lou Holtz
It's my dad's birthday today, so I decided to cook him a nice dinner and bought some dessert I thought he'd like. One thing about having your birthday in December, he says, is that most people forget about it because of the Christmas hype. I decided to cook him something fairly balanced and light since he often cooks a lot of heavier meals. He loves raspberries, so I bought some white chocolate raspberry ice cream and bought some real raspberries for him to eat the ice cream with. He's usually a picky person to get presents for, but this gesture was able to put a smile on his face, and it felt really good.

For me, the end of the year marks a time of showing thanks and appreciation to people. While presents and celebration are one way of doing that, they're not something that we can do every day. Although it's often the little things that go unnoticed, it's those very things that can also make the biggest difference. It could be a simple "I love you", or helping someone sort their thoughts out. It could be cleaning the house to make the place nice and tidy for them when they come home. While they are temporary things, it's the message behind the gestures that speak volumes.

There are so many ways to show people how much we care about them and there is no "right" or "wrong" way because it's about sharing. It doesn't have to just be happiness, either. Sometimes being with someone in times of hardship and sharing that is just as meaningful as spreading the positive vibes. As I've been spending time with friends and family this last week this theme keeps coming back to me and it's something I want to return strong with when I head back to Japan.

How will you show your loved ones you care?

                                                                                                                Peace
Showing you care
It doesn't take much to show people what they mean to you. Sometimes it's the simple things that get the message across the best.

Comments

  1. If you have any thoughts, stories, or experiences, share them in a comment below!

    Have a great day~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment