Being there for your friends - YoM Day 298

Nine months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 298. Yesterday, I wanted to take a moment to be thankful for everything. Today is a new day.
"A friend is what the hearts needs all the time." - Henry Van Dyke
Being back in the states this last week has been amazing. I've seen a lot of my friends and have constantly been reminded of what I had while living in the states that I kinda took for granted before moving to Japan and having to start over. We don't know what we have until it's gone and it's crazy how true that can be.

While I'm here I want to do as much as I can in order to show the people I care about that I well...care about them. Some things are understood without words and just being there for your friends is one of those things that lets everyone know that they mean a lot to you. To me, that's a sure sign of a good friend. When someone is there for you unconditionally. When they're there not just to gain something, but when they're there because they want to be. That's the kind of example I want to set for myself and others. My friends already know how much they matter to me, but it's something that brings me joy. One mistake I think a lot of people make is trying to buy off their friends with gifts or showing them too much kindness, but that kinda thing tends to neglect the self and our own well-being.

I'm not saying to be stingy or selfish, but to have a balance. For me, just hanging out and sharing some joy is something that hits that balance because I'm inviting people into my world, we're all having fun, and there's no expectation for anything. Just doing what we wanna do. Although I'm only staying for a while, I want to make the best of the time I still have left so that I don't regret anything when I go back. But no matter where we are or what are circumstances are, there's always something that we can do to be there for the ones we cherish the most. It could be simply keeping in touch with letters, calling each other via skype a lot, etc. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Who are the people that mean the most to you? How can you return the favor and be there for them? 

                                                                                                                    Peace
Friends
No matter where I may be, I can still be there for my friends when they need me and vice versa. In a sense, friendship transcends physical space.

Comments

  1. If you have any thoughts, stories, or experiences, share them in a comment below!

    Have a great day~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment