The power in our names - YoM Day 295+296

Nine months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 295 ad 296. Yesterday, I talked about our brain's potential. Today is a new day.
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." - William Shakespeare
I'm going to my grandma's tomorrow and the rest of this week is going to be full of me hanging out with people and exploring the world a lot, so I won't be posting tomorrow and am combing the thoughts from yesterday and today into this post. Although writing is a part of my daily mindfulness ritual, it doesn't mean I can't still practice mindfulness everyday. I guess I got too caught up in having to reflect every day that I also assumed that I should also be writing every day. While it makes sense, writing and being mindful are two different things that can interact and influence each other; but they are not one and the same. Once this vacation is over I fully intent to write every day, but in the time being I think it's not so necessary as this entire vacation experience has been a learning process of its own.

                              Anyway...

My friend Paul was headed to Taiwan for a week and he came to hang out with me before he left since he wanted to see me again. It's interesting. Earlier I was thinking that my parents intentionally chose to move to an airport because they knew that in the future I would want to explore and learn everything. They wanted me to become the savior that everyone is waiting for. The name Alexander, which originates from Ancient Greek, Αλεξανδρος (a-lig-zan-dross), can be translated as "defending men". If it were a song, it would sound like this to me. When hearing this name, most people who like that kinda history attribute it to Alexander the Great, King of Macedon, who was a real bad-ass for conquering what would become most of Europe today. The O.G. Alex.

In America, when I ask my friends if they know what their name means and most don't have a clue. "It's just my name, I dunno" is something I hear a lot. In Japan, however, their names are typically written in kanji, which is a system of pictographs with their own meaning attributed to them. Pretty much all Japanese people know what their names mean. It's become rare that they don't, which is the opposite to my understanding of Western civilization. Duality right?

So...I learned about my name a long time ago, but I never really thought too much about it. I just thought it was kinda cool, but at the same time I always questioned whether I could live up to such a legacy. I guess I just doubted myself a lot and that was one way of me doing that. When thinking about it though, I've done a lot of things that seem to connect to what my name means. I love super heroes. I love the idea of having the power to save people and do cool things like Batman or Goku. I thought about all of the things I've done and taken interest in and how they all seem to have a similar dynamic of being there for others. I like to give, I like to solve problems (especially puzzles), I like to be useful, I like to see the positive in everything, etc. I think all of these are thematically collected.

That got me thinking...what if my purpose is to guide the lost who are searching for their way home? What if that's my way of "defending man"? I chuckled at the thought. There might not be any power in our names even if our lives may seem to have a connection, or maybe there is, but either way it was interesting to think about.

What does your name speak about you? What's its message? What if they resonated?

~~~~MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!~~~~

                                                                                                                 Peace
everything is connected
Everything is connected. It's just a matter of us seeing the individual threads that keep everything together.

Comments

  1. If you have any thoughts, stories, or experiences, leave a comment below!

    Have a great day and MERRY CHRISTMAS~~~!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment