What we give - YoM Day 265

Eight months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 265. Yesterday, I talked about the importance of trying and never giving up. Today is a new day.
"From what we get, we can make a living; what we give, however, makes a life." - Arthur Ashe
I was looking at possible jobs for me to apply to if I wanted to make more money last night and it made me think about what I'd end up sacrificing in order to make that money. At my company, I could choose to work overtime and make more money, but it would be at the cost of most of my free time. I'd have less time to write, go to the gym, and do things I enjoy at home. Life is about balance so while making money is important for supporting your desired lifestyle, so is having time to actually enjoy it.

There's more to it though. Although I enjoy spending time relaxing and lazing about as much as the next person, the feeling of giving back to the community and leaving something behind has grown stronger as I've been getting older. These last few weeks I've met people and have had a lot of good conversations. A lot of them we imparted our own experiences to help the other apply that wisdom in our own lives. I've shared a lot of laughs, stories of regret, and personal advice based on my own life. Unlike the typical conversations about the news, weekend plans, and the like, it felt real to me.

Being able to help people has been something that has given me a lot of satisfaction in my life and in giving to others in what ways I can is more rewarding than any time spent playing video games. Putting a smile on someone's face is one of the greatest things for me. I feel more connected with the world and the people I interact with. To me, it's proof that we are alive and doing something in this world. One of my fears is that I'll become overly selfish and not realize it so the more I give the more I feel human. While that line of thinking could be selfish in and of itself, I'd rather learn to openly give than actively take in life without offering anything in return.

At the very least, it's my way of saying to the world 'thank you'. If it's from the heart, then I'd say it means something.

                                                                                                                   Peace
What we give
It doesn't matter what we give so long as it's from the heart.

Comments

  1. If you have any thoughts, stories, or experiences, share them in a comment below!

    Have a great day~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment