Guided by Loss - YoM Day 250

Eight months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 250. Yesterday, I talked about doing things to elevate our consciousness. Today is a new day.
"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins
Last night on my way home the train let out a loud noise from the train director striking the horn. Everyone riding was a bit surprised by the sudden sound and I had no idea why that happened. There wasn't any announcement following the surprise and we arrived at the next station soon after. Being close to the end of the week, the first possibility that came to mind was a possible suicide. Things proceeded normally and I'm glad that nothing that severe actually happened. It got me thinking about the affect death has on us.

I've read notes from suicidal people, heard various reasons for wanting to commit suicide, and have have suicidal thoughts in the past, so I can understand what it feels like to be completely in the dark. It sucks. Like everything is pointless and no matter how hard you try nothing will change. It'll all fall back to being shit because you are shit. The famous lyrics, "hello Darkness, my old friend", used to be my daily greeting in the morning when I woke up. It got to a point where I looked forward to dreaming more than I did being awake. I thought that if it all ended everything would be better off.

But that was just me being selfish.

Having also seen so many people encourage others to not go through with suicide, I also know that even if I die, I'll still live on in the memories of those who knew me. Sometimes we forget that even though now might be dark, we've all touched the lives of others some time somewhere in the past. Whether it's our family, friends, coworkers, or someone we randomly interacted with, we've all made an impact on other peoples' lives in some way. If I died, who knows what I'd put my parents through? I'd never know because I'd be gone.  Once we die, we can't take it back.

Similarly, we can't recover those we've lost when we're alive. All that's left is a memory and a reminder of what could-be. However, the difference is that life continues on even after we experience loss, so it is still there to haunt us and make us feel empty. What's gone we might not be able to get back, but that's not to say all hope is lost with it. We can still cherish the memories that linger behind and we can still create new experiences that can enrich us and shine light on the darkness.

Everyone eventually dies, but that doesn't mean what we do while alive doesn't hold any meaning. It just means that we have to make the best of what we have now before it's gone. Before it's too late. To me, that's the message in the losses we face. To me, Loss exists to teach us this lesson.  

What can you still do before it's too late?

                                                                                                                        Peace
Guided by loss
Death guides both the lost and those still among the living. It is up to us whether we heed its call.

Comments

Post a Comment