Finding your flow - YoM Day 238

Seven months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 238. Yesterday, I talked about having some fun in life. Today is a new day.
"Genuine happiness can only be achieved when we transform our way of life from the unthinking pursuit of pleasure to one committed to enriching our lives, when we focus on 'being more' rather than simply having more." - Daisaku Ikeda
Last night I was exhausted from a week of Halloween lessons and I ended the day doing some shadow boxing in my apartment and meditation while drunk on rum. Kind of a strange way to end the night, but as I was feeling the fiery warmth of the rum spreading throughout my body, something made me feel compelled to start training the mind.

In the chaos of my drunken state, I felt a certain calmness in my movements that helped my mind stand still in focus. As I cooled down with some meditation I could feel each fiber of my being, the blood coursing through my veins, and the various systems in the body working in sync to maintain equilibrium in the body. These sensations were all felt with intimate depth and I felt the connection with my inner workings and the world around me as me being part of a similar system to our body's cardiovascular system. We are all here coexisting as a part of a greater whole. That whole being the Earth and we are its cells. The Earth is a tiny cell in the grand scheme of the universe and this cycle goes on and on and on forever.

It's like the blackness of space is simply our inability to see the greater picture. What lies beyond is too enormous for us to fully piece together, so it just looks like darkness to us. How do ants perceive us humans? How would they perceive the vast ocean? Can they even see space, or is our sky their space? Whatever the answers are, it likely applies to us as well.

I woke up this morning feeling alright and after a nice workout I immersed myself in a hot bath to sooth the muscles. That sense of stillness and calm from last night returned and I found that focus again. Looking back, I only find this focus, this "flow" when I'm stimulating my mind or body. In martial arts I'm both practicing honing my senses as well as getting a workout. In meditation I am practicing the art of stillness, which helps me to stay grounded and internalize the things I think about. It enables me to let go and free my mind of any tensions holding it back. From there, I can use that focus to better see what I need to do and do what needs to be done. It makes me want to push myself further and it feels good.

This experience was a reminder of the importance of practicing disciplines that elevate us. Whether it's reading, creating, or being active, we each have our own way of entering into a state of flow. When these moments happen, taking a mental note of it and learning how you got to that state is like that "aha" moment in learning a new skill. Now that I've established times where I've felt like this, I can now figure out how to replicate it and learn to master it. Master this and I can master anything.

                                                                                                                    Peace
Finding your flow
In finding my flow, I unlock the key to accessing my full potential.

Comments

Post a Comment