YoM Day 36: Keeping it simple

 Yesterday, I talked about looking deeper into the rabbit hole of life. Today is a new day.
Words are the fog one has to see through.” - Zen saying
It’s sometimes hard to understand someone the more they talk. Simple is often best. Some of the best movie scenes don’t have dialogue. Some of the most powerful moments I’ve had came from not saying a single word and simply observing. Silence too can behold its own dialogues.

When I think about important moments in my life they’ve always been brief like a spring breeze. When teaching, I’ve found that short and simple is best when speaking to them. Whenever I’d give longer explanations for things such as grammar or vocabulary I could see the confusion in their eyes. They’d get totally lost. As soon as I simplified things the lightbulbs would start popping out and I’d hear the ‘a-ha’s.

It’s the key points of anything that really matter. Having more detail in a story can be nice (which is why some people love stories like Game of Thrones and The Lord of the Rings), but I think one thing that separates good writing from the bad is how concisely it can convey its message.

One rule of life I’m trying to adhere to is to say only what’s necessary. This applies to anything involving expression: paintings, songs, dance, etc. In other words, the purpose behind the art is what draws people in. Once you take away that purpose, you’re left with a bunch of empty grays and we have to sift through the unnecessary its to find the color.

                                                                                                                           Peace
Keep it simple
Keep it simple

Comments

  1. Today’s assignment: Find the words that come from the heart and follow them home.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment