The right people - YoM Day 236

Seven months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 236. Yesterday, I talked about  making the best of our situation. Today is a new day.
"Surround yourself with the right people, and realize your own worth. Honestly, there are enough bad people out there in the world - you don't need to be your own worst enemy." - Lucy Hale
My friends often ask me if I plan to stay in Japan or move back to the states, and my answer has always been "I'll stay until I feel like moving" and that's remained true the whole time. I don't know what my future holds for me, so the idea of making definite plans to where I'm gonna live is something I don't really think about much. As I've been dressing up as Goku from Dragon Ball the last few days for my school's Halloween week I've been reminded of the importance of who you surround yourself with.

I've always been a fan of anime and video games, and although they've become much more common now, I would mostly meet and be able to talk about those things online growing up. At school, most people talked about things I didn't care about, so I'd go online to talk about the latest Zelda game, or the anime I've been watching. It made it hard to really express myself because there weren't too many people who shared the same interests around me. Those I could express myself with though made life really great. We'd get super excited talking about things and get to know each other on a deep level.

No matter where you live, it's the people you surround yourself with that make life all the most positive and interesting. I could live in paradise and be miserable if I didn't have anyone I could relate to or really enjoy spending time with. Without people to share your joy with, you become hollow. That's why we seek friendships: they keep us sane and help us grow.

Having people we can be open and express ourselves with is like medicine - it's good for the soul. Finding positive like-minded people is one of the best ways to do this. As we become more comfortable in our own skin we learn to be open with more and more people. Your openness is often returned in kind the positivity and authentic expression of other people rub off on you. Your energies end up elevating each other and that is the true "magic" of friendship. It's the cycle of reciprocation. Like someone sharing some of their snacks with you and you doing the same in return. Such people show you how valuable you really are.

In contrast, being surrounded by negativity and hatred all of the time makes you feel miserable. The negative vibes from toxic people brings us down with them and drags us into oblivion. Haters gonna hate, but that doesn't mean we have to spend our time with them. There will always be at least one person who shares similar views to us. Find those people help each other grow. Who we choose to be with has a tremendous impact on how we perceive our lives. By putting ourselves out there and making ourselves known we open the door to invite others to do the same.

Find the right people.

                                                                                                                       Peace
The right people
A friend indeed is all you need.

Comments

Post a Comment