Helping others - YoM Day 218

Seven months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 218. Yesterday, I talked about building a solid foundation of skills in order to master something. Today is a new day.
“There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up.” - John Holmes
While working out this morning I started thinking about purpose. I was doing some Arnold presses and on my last few sets I thought about one of my students. This student is very sweet and always helps me clean up the classroom on his own accord. His mom commented on how he must like me a lot and that it's motivated him to study more. It made me happy to hear that I was able to make a positive impact on a student and motivate them to learn more. In return, it also made me really want to do my best at ensuring everyone learns what they need to in order to succeed. I may help my students, but they also help me strive for greater heights. Thinking about this helped me power through an extra set and really work out my shoulders.

It's like the main protagonist in super hero stories. Goku became a Super Saiyan because he wanted to protect others and avenge the death of his fallen friend. Superman is driven by his desire to protect the Earth. At the height of their greatness, both characters focused their motives on one thing: helping others. On our own we might be able to accomplish great things, but self-motivation has its limits. When we do things for others it's like the stakes are greater and it makes us push ourselves further than we could on our own. Working to serve others adds more meaning to our actions and gives us a purpose.

When we have a purpose we become more focused, which lets us do what needs to be done. It's like a lighthouse guiding boats back to shore during stormy and foggy weather. The lights help the captains pinpoint where they need to go in order to dock safely. One thing that keeps me motivated with these daily posts is you. Although I have no idea how much my words may be of help to people, the thought that someone out there might actually find value from the lessons I'm learning is helping me have the compassion to do my best to help others.

This is something I think a lot of people end up neglecting. So many groups are so focused on helping themselves, or "us", but in doing so they end up leaving "others" behind. It's no different than being selfish and never doing anything for other people. The difference is scale. There is strength in numbers, and so I'm making more effort to doing what I can to elevate others. As I continue to think about my purpose and what meaning I can give my life, I always end up thinking about how I can elevate others. Whether it's supporting someone, offering advice, or giving people a chance to share what they have to offer, there's so much we can do to help one another out. In doing so, we also end up helping ourselves.

It's when we come together that the world becomes a little better and we can start hoping again.

                                                                                                                        Peace
Helping others
Together we grow, together we rise.

Comments

  1. How can you help others. How can helping others benefit you?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment