Deciding on progress - YoM Day 216

Seven months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 216. Yesterday, I talked about keeping the mind active and maintaining balance. Today is a new day.
"Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice: It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved." - William Jennings Bryan
I was has having a philosophical talk with a friend and she asked me what I thought about karma. When thinking of karma, many of us think of the saying, "what goes around comes around". Coming from a Buddhist upbringing, I firmly believe that our decisions have an influence on our lives, however, although this is true nothing is so easy and absolute as "being good will mean I will live a good life". That'd be an oversimplification. Instead, I believe that everything must be earned.

We're not entitled to anything nor are we deserving of anything (bad or good). We simply make decisions that open and close different doors of opportunity. It's like trying to solve a puzzle. Some people don't know what they're doing and end up not being able to solve them while others start analyzing the puzzle, deliberately work on it critically, and eventually figure it out. In the same way, some people are content with their life and don't actively do anything to improve it.

It doesn't matter how altruistic or nice you are, reality doesn't cater to people solely based on personality. If it did then how can we explain the countless wealthy people who are corrupt assholes? You don't need to be liked to be successful. You do, however need to put in work if you are to pave the foundation to a road toward achieving your dreams. When I feel unmotivated this is something I like to remind myself not to give up no matter what happens. If I want to get shit done I must first get out and do it. Only then can the gears start turning and I can make progress.

With this in mind I believe everything I do is meaningful in that it all leads to something somewhere. I can choose to be productive just as much as I choose to spend time watching movies or playing video games. I have no one to blame if I don't end up becoming a master at my craft but myself and the decisions I've made. The American Dream is the belief that with enough hard work, effort, and tenacity anyone can achieve greatness and it is one that I think as a lot of truth in it. Instead of waiting for things to go my way I have to make things go my way.

                                                                                                                           Peace
Deciding on progress
The gears starting turning with one action at a time. Each decision adds upon the next and it creates a cycle that will sum up to how much progress we make.

Comments

  1. What are some decisions you're making in order to create the future you desire?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment