Finding focus - YoM Day 209

Six months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 209.
Yesterday, I talked about sticking through any storms life throws at you. Today's a new day.
"It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light." - Aristotle Onassis 
Today was an interesting day. It started out with a negative start (I still felt a little lost from yesterday) and as I was walking to the train station on my way to work I began to think about how I was going to play the song I'm currently working on when I finally decide to record my performance. I started planning out the rest of my day to get myself in the zone. As the day went on I taught my classes like normal and things went really well. It put me in a good mood. I made plans to go out for dinner with one of my students after work today and I enjoyed myself. We talked about One Piece, things we like, etc. The day went from negative to ending positively.

Looking back on this morning, I realized one reason my day went so well: I was focused. When we focus our thoughts on particular things we gain purpose in our actions and it affects our performance. In the same way that someone walking with purpose will be swift and decisive while those lost will stumble about awkwardly, the same applies with our lives. If we lack purpose in our actions we end up like the stumbling lemming following the crowd without knowing why.

With so many people unsure of what their goals in life are or what they want to do in the future, it comes as no surprise why so many people are depressed in the modern era. With so many options available to us it becomes harder to figure out which one suits us the most, whereas in the "old days" we were much more limited in what we could do. We live in a crazy time that's making us crazy with it. Having something to focus on helps calm the madness, which makes it easier to find purpose in our lives. Once we have a purpose, a drive, a calling, whatever you want to call it, life doesn't seem so unclear and it brings a sense of clarity/ease.

It's so easy to think about the purpose behind our actions yet it's so easy to get caught up in what we're going that we forget about it. Today was a reminder for me to keep focused on what I'm trying to accomplish throughout my day. Whether it's setting small goals, thinking about the "why" behind my actions, or keeping myself away from distractions, staying aware of what we're doing makes each moment more meaningful.

                                                                                                                                  Peace
Finding focus
Like blurry vision, purposeful actions add clarity to our perception of the world.

Comments

Post a Comment