Finding your talents - YoM Day 207

Six months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 207. Yesterday, I talked about reflecting on our youth and maintaining who we are. Today's a new day.
"Use what talents you possess, the woods will be very silent if no birds sang there except for those that sang best." - Henry van Dyke
I love how amazing the internet is. It allows us to share our lives and makes it easy for us to see how talented people can be. It enables us to realize the things humanity is capable of. I see so much talent on youtube and it me think about what I'm able to share with the world. My thoughts are one such thing. I also have my art. So far I've done so in a passive way with my writing and photography. In the future, I'm looking to expand how I can express myself and share my thoughts with the world.

The internet was made to connect us (and make businesses a lot of money), so I think it's all the more important to share our gifts with the world. We have so much to gain and so many people we can possibly give inspiration to that I feel there's so much potential being wasted when we only choose to consume media but not give anything back. We all have talents that we might not even be aware of. I firmly believe that there's something out there for everyone to exceed in, it's just a matter of us finding what that is and then taking the time to develop out talents.

In order to find what that is we have to experiment and try new things. I didn't know that I would enjoy martial arts as a child until my dad took me to take some kung-fu lessons. I didn't know I had some talent in piano until my parents made me take piano lessons. My parents made me try a lot of things growing up because they wanted me to find something I enjoyed and was capable of doing well. This is one way we can find our calling in life. It's like seeing the vast ocean for the first time. Such experiences spark the imagination and expand our horizons.

My childhood experiences taught me that there's so much about the world that I don't yet know and it ignited a sense of curiosity and adventure in me. I like to go out and try things when given the opportunity and it's helped me discover a lot of hobbies such as rock climbing, hiking, writing, yoga, working out, etc.

At the same time, some of us find our passion early on. I've loved video games since as long as I can remember. Had I only stuck with that who knows, maybe I'd exclusively write about video games and be a streamer? It's hard to say. I've considered it, too. My first attempt at a blog was started as a tumblr about gaming and I soon found myself losing the motivation to keep writing. I've thought about restarting something similar, but I think my passion for games comes in the experience more in the talking about it.

Had I not tried different hobbies I never would've considered mindfulness and personal growth as a theme for a blog. Surprisingly, this has resonated with me more than talking about games. I find that giving perspective from my experiences will give back to the world by providing insight to people who've gone through similar struggles as I have. It'd be even better if my thoughts and experiences can help people find their own way by providing another perspective on life. I might not be a gifted writer, but it's something I'd like to develop into a skill. To me, talents can be inherent and developed with enough effort.

Try to keep an open mind. If you never give things a chance you might never know what your talents might be. Explore a bit and who knows, you might find something you enjoy?

                                                                                                                          Peace
Finding your talents
Even the most seemingly insignificant things can be amazing and beautiful through the eyes of others.

Comments

Post a Comment