What you can do - YoM Day 204

Six months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 204. Yesterday, I talked about thinking of progress as drops of water accumulating to become a flowing river. Today is a new day.
"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." - John R. Wooden
I watched some tutorials on improving my piano skills and practiced using the sustenuto pedal, which enables me to create extra layers of depth to my playing that I normally wouldn't be able to do using only the right pedal (which most people use to sustain the notes they're playing). I've been learning Claude Debussy's Clair de Lune (I find it so beautiful and soothing to listen to, I want to play it to really feel it) as a nice relaxation piece to sort out my thoughts and had some ideas on how I wanted to play it. I couldn't put my tongue on it, but something was missing. That's when I thought about learning some new techniques to see if I could find a solution to my problem.

Although I'm still learning how to effectively use the sustenuto pedal (it'll take some time to get used to the awkward positioning of my feet on the middle and right pedals as well as the timing of everything), I can't let myself be discouraged by what I'm not yet capable of doing. Although I have a lot goals, I have to remind myself to start small before I can grasp the stars without getting burned.

When it comes to our dreams we like to shoot for the moon. Although great, it makes it all the more discouraging when obstacles cross our path and we don't know what to do. Although the end goal is great, pacing is important. You don't just decide to run a marathon, you have to train long and hard for it. Starting with smaller goals is a great way to work our way up to greater things. I may not be a master pianist, but I know that if I build on my foundation little by little I'll get closer.

In everything we strive for, the gift IS there, we just have to foster it and dig it out. Start with what you can do and keep going from there.

                                                                                                                               Peace
Work toward progress
Our goals lie at the top of the staircase and each step represents the goals that mark our progress. Instead of trying to leap to the top, take things on one step at a time. You'll get there eventually. 

Comments

  1. What goals are you working toward? What steps can you take now to get there?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment