No worries - YoM Day 197

Six months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 197. Yesterday, I talked about being open to changes. Today is a new day.
"There is only one way to happiness and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power of our will." - Epictetus
The advent of open A.I. is getting closer and closer and the possible implications it has on our future are both exciting and frightening. At this point A.I. is sophisticated enough to beat pros at the most difficult games in the world, including Go and Dota 2, with a 100% win-rate after a few rounds of playing. There's also cases of A.I. inventing their own language in order to be more efficient communicators. Open A.I., in short, is capable of growth exponentially faster than ours and in a few short months, could supersede our knowledge and capabilities because they process information faster than we can. With leaders of the technology aware of and having expressed concern over the matter, it begs the question as to why we're still trying to open what could be Pandora's box.

Now that the typhoon has gone and passed the sun's out again and all is well. There's no telling where the world will head and the best we can really do is do our best now so that we can live in a better tomorrow. With the threat of nuclear strikes from North Korea, A.I. possibly becoming Skynet, global warming, and all of the other problems that might arise in the coming years it's easy to think about gloom and doom all day. There's a lot of fear-mongering out there, but no matter what we do these things are out of our control. If the world is headed to shit there's not really anything I can do about it. As such, I might as well try to make the best of my life while I can, right?

To me, enjoying life and being happy isn't just about indulging in pleasures. Rather, it's about self-improvement. If I just ate chips and played video games every day it might be fun for a while, but eventually such things become an addiction that we can't break away from. You end up just playing games because "that's what I do now" and you miss out on so much of what life has to offer us. It's about not hesitating to chase after the things we want and taking action instead of waiting until it's too late. If it were my last day on Earth I might as well go out in a bang and do everything I've been wanting to do so that I can die knowing I did my best.

Is the world gonna end tomorrow? In 2020? Who knows? Does it matter? We're all gonna die someday anyway, so there's not point in dwelling too much on it and just enjoy life while we can. Hakuna matata, it means no worries. Stuff', good and bad, are merely ripples in water made with each gust of wind. They're gonna be made regardless of anything we do, but they eventually settle down and the water balances back into tranquil stillness with enough time. So keep doing you, don't panic, keep calm, and don't worry about it.

                                                                                                                          Peace
No worries
No point in trying to control the uncontrollable. Rather, learning to not let anything shake us and make us stray from the path.

Comments