It's more than about You - YoM Day 195

Six months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 195. Yesterday, I talked about persevering through no matter what we face in life. Today is a new day.
"I plant a lot of trees. I am a great believer in planting things for future generations. I loath the now culture where you just live for today." - Penelope Keith
The other week the two other English teachers at my school went back home and left Japan. Although I get why they did what they did, their reasons were completely focused around themselves. As a result, they ended up hurting a lot of students and will never really know the impact they had because they aren't there to see it. Today was a good example of that. It's funny how although I've studied human development and psychology as my major there's still so much I don't understand and need to study. Although it's obvious that kids tend to be more egocentric than their adult counterparts, it's becoming more and more apparent as I'm getting older how selfish we can still be as adults.

I've come to a point in my life where I've started to really think about the future. Not just my own, but the futures of the next generations. When I see my students I think about their potential and what sort of impact they could have on the world. When I think about that, I want to do my best to help them get there, because I feel like that's a purpose that's been given to me. I think we are all given a purpose as soon as we choose to walk down any road. It's not something we're born with. We made the choice to go to school, to follow what our peers have told us to do, go against the norm, create things, etc. As it's our choice, it's also our responsibility to follow through with and make the best out of it.

Of course, we might choose to follow another road or find that something isn't ideal, and that's okay. However, when our decisions end up affecting others as well that's when we really have to consider not just our self-interest, but the bigger picture. In deciding to become a teacher I've essentially made a promise to my students that I'd teach them for at least a year. I want to be a man of my word, so I'm going to do my best to keep that promise. If I don't, then I feel like I'd be breaking that promise and letting myself down at the end of the day.

How we do anything is how we do everything, and as someone who wants to grow and aim for new heights I refuse to settle for anything if I can help it. If our parents just up and decided "I don't want to be a parent anymore" while we were kids imagine how our childhood would change. Imagine how we'd feel if someone we invested a lot of time and attachment to just suddenly vanished from your life? It'd suck, right? We all create an impact on one-another whether we realize it or not. I think that if we truly want what's best for ourselves, we should also consider what's best for other people, too.

Although I don't know their full situation and shouldn't be judging others, I believe that since teachers are responsible for aiding the growth of others, it is our duty to uphold that as best as possible. As we grow older it becomes more important for us to look out for and help guide the next generation so that they can reciprocate by repeating the cycle. I think one way in securing the future of mankind is just getting over ourselves and caring about the bigger picture.

                                                                                                                          Peace
it's more than about you
It's not just us playing. We're all in this game of life together.

Comments