Voices of our dreams - YoM Day 192

Six months ago I began a journey of practicing mindfulness every day and we've reached day 192. Yesterday, I talked about staying determined and not giving up on the grind that is life. Today is a new day.
"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes." - Carl Jung
One reason I look forward to going to bed every night is the dreams that I have. The imagination is the gateway to infinite possibilities and I have some bizarre dreams every now and then. I find them really inspirational in one way or another. I remember having a dream where I was with a group of friends and we lived in an oppressive internment camp for "abnormals", which were people with mutations. We were basically X-Men. In that dream I went on a journey to free others like me and we escaped on the back of an ancient, flying whale, which has been said to symbolize spirituality, peace, and emotional freedom.

I had this dream while I was still in college and still struggling trying to understand myself. That dream was, for me, a sign that I needed to just stop trying to conform to others' expectations and do my best to be myself. That I had to relax and not worry so much about the future because things would work themselves out in one way or another. Most importantly, my dream made me realize that I just want to help other people find themselves and realize their own potential in the same way that I do. I want everyone to find their way. I've had many dreams that have made me examine my own life and have shown me things I hadn't previously considered about myself. The subconscious mind has things to say and I believe our dreams are its way of communicating with our conscious self.

There are many theories about dreams. Some believe they are neurons firing randomly while we sleep, yet our dreams often have a structure and some narrative to them, which seems way too complex for something that's random. Some believe it's our brain processing and trying to make sense of everything that has gone on during your day. Others, like Carl Jung, proposed that dreams are our "shadow self". They contain our suppressed, denied, forgotten or rejected emotions, feelings or memories in order to offer advice and a deeper understanding of our conscious self. In a way, it's like someone observing from the outside trying to give us some insight and perspective on what's going on in our life. 

In writing dreams down in a journal and looking back through it we can gain a lot of insights about our selves. What might seem like nonsense at first might have a lot of hidden messages within it. I've asked myself, "what is this dream trying to tell me?" and after some thought I'm usually able to connect themes to certain events in my life. From there I think about how I can apply these insights into my life and try to improve it. This last part is pretty much what I do with practicing mindfulness. I put effort in being more aware of my surroundings, reflect on my day, and try learning from my observations.

What insights can you gain from your dreams? From your experiences?

                                                                                                                   Peace
flying whale
What are your dreams trying to tell you?

Comments

Post a Comment