Insightful reflections - YoM Day 189

Heads-up: It's been over half a year since I've started this Year of Mindfulness series and for those who haven't been following from the start I've realized that the title (YoM) might be confusing. I'm changing the title format from here on out in hopes of making it less confusing for anyone casually stumbling upon this blog. I'll also have an introduction to this series linked in each post so newcomers can find the start of the journey at any time. Thanks to everyone sticking with me up to this point and I look forward to what I'll learn from the rest of this year of mindfulness.

Yesterday, I talked about finding a cause that you can fully immerse and be yourself in. Today is a new day.
"Problems are not stop signs, they are guidelines." - Robert H. Schuller
As life does with us all, sometimes I'll find myself in a pickle. Recently, I get caught in cycles of ups and downs. Some days I'll feel fantastic from seeing my progress and then I'll feel a rush of sadness from being homesick and the uncertainty of where I'll go in the future. Life is full of contrasts and it's funny how the highest of highs also tend to come with the lowest of lows. Every day is a reminder that I'm still lacking in focus and discipline and this mindfulness practice is helping me see and overcome my faults.

Growing up I was taught that if I ever got stuck, I should think about why I'm stuck, what I can do to become unstuck, and how I can prevent myself from repeating my mistakes. Problems aren't just there to keep us down, they're there to show us where we went wrong and what we should be doing instead. To the arrogant they're there to humble us. To the naive they're there to show us the necessity of struggle and the importance of diligence. None of us really knows what is is we're doing and so our problems are there to show us the way.

One mistake a lot of people make is running away from them. Like Simba running away from his destiny before realizing that he needed to return to Pride Rock and take his rightful place as king, many of us don't want to face our problems for convenience. It's hard to face them head-on because it means admitting our imperfections. That's never comfortable. However, it's absolutely necessary if we want to get anywhere. Bullshitting through life and making excuses is like digging a hole. The further we dig the harder it is to get out of it. Nothing truly valuable is gained with ease, which is why it's so important to take on the challenge of partaking in consistent self-reflection and putting the insights gained from it into practice.

                                                                                                                         Peace
self-reflection
In our reflection we see the swan that we have the potential to become.

Comments

  1. What insights have you gained from your problems? From self-reflection?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment