YoM Day 180: emotionally rational

Yesterday, I talked about luck being about perspective. Today is a new day.
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere." - Anonymous
I remember taking a philosophy class on logic in my early years of college and studying mostly about logical fallacies, which are flaws in our reasoning that we're all guilty of committing at one point or another. It was a pretty eye-opening class that helped me think in a more rational way and understand, for example, that correlation isn't necessarily causation, or that just because someone has a PhD. in something doesn't mean they're always an expert on the matter. Humans are still human and so we are all prone to making mistakes from time-to-time. This class helped me think more for myself and think more critically about things. It showed me the value of thinking clearly. 

Logic is a tool that has helped us make sense of the world and keep us grounded in reality. It's helped us create the wheel, develop societies, and understand the mechanics of the world we're inhabiting. It serves the purpose of enabling us to methodologically reach new heights. However, if logic is the brain, then our emotions and the ideas come from them are the heart and soul. It's from our emotional side that our imagination allows us to push past our boundaries and see the unseen.

One reason why I love sleeping is the dreams I have. Sometimes I have the most vivid of dreams that when I wake up it takes a few seconds for me to remember which is reality. Some dreams are so bizarre that I question both my sanity and where those ideas came from. Many of my dreams have influenced my art and have made me see things from a perspective that being strictly rational could never do. These dreams have inspired me to take on new challenges in life and believe that anything is possible. Our emotions create value in our expression. This is what makes art...art in my opinion.

Although rationality has its purpose and being strictly logical about everything can provide you with answers to the questions you seek, your questions are limited to what "makes sense". When you get into the field of quantum mechanics, where seemingly anything goes, we can't make sense of something we don't fully comprehend. This is where the imagination comes in. It challenges our beliefs and asks "why" to everything. I love books, cartoons, and video games precisely because of this. Some of the most interesting inventions and products were based on creations of fantasy.

The ideas that stem from the imagination may not be completely based on reality, but they provide the necessary inspiration for us to manifest them. Without it the Wright brothers wouldn't have dreamed of flying. We wouldn't be developing A.I. We wouldn't strive for complete immersion in VR. It's our curiosity and desire to push the limits that allows for this and without the imagination to drive us to think of Gundams or sentient robots with the sole purpose of passing butter what would life be like?

As with all things, however, there's a necessity for balance. Being too logical about everything makes us rigid, but relying too much on our feelings and imagination can make us dissociative and lose sight of reality. We cannot have one without the other. Our imagination creates the dream, logic manifests it.

What do you think?

                                                                                                                            Peace
Expression
The right balance of both is how we create progress.

Comments

Post a Comment