YoM Day 177: just do

Yesterday, I talked about challenging the status quo. Today is a new day. 
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
One of my goals with my art is to have an impact on the viewer. I want to inspire people, so I put a lot of thought into what I create. I've been having a slump in terms of art ideas (seems to happen every time I finish a big piece) and was looking up an article on what many artists do in order to find inspiration. One thing that stuck out was how many save their thinking for after they've started working, not before. When drawing, I often see the picture in the paper I'm drawing on, which provides me with a lot of the ideas in my works. Rather than trying to come up with another good idea I should just draw and let the ideas come out naturally. Don't force the art, just make it.

The same idea applies to most things in life. No matter what it is we must take action in order to accomplish something. If I want to get stronger I have to workout. If I want to improve my piano skills I have to practice. If I want to improve my art I have to draw. Studying and increasing my knowledge might help, but in the same way that schooling doesn't replace experience in the workplace, until I actually apply my knowledge it lacks real value.

My Japanese teacher in high school, Mr. K, used to tell me that most people just coast through life not applying themselves. He said that if I wanted to actually make an impact I had to utilize my talents in a productive way. After all of these years those words have still stuck in my mind. Like anything though, I can't start too big, it's about pacing yourself and doing what I can first. I had an early start this morning, I'm about to head to the gym, I have work in a few hours, and I'm ready to make that impact. Don't wait, just do.

                                                                                                                             Peace
take action
Taking action has a ripple effect. The initial impact of doing is what sets the gears into motion. Once you start, you can make progress.

Comments

  1. What are you gonna do today? I think I'm gonna do some drawing when I get back from the gym.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment