YoM Day 156: avoid drowning

Yesterday, I talked about learning from people we don't see eye-to-eye with. Today is a new day.
"You drown not by falling into a river, but by staying submerged in it." - Paulo Coelho
I spent lunch with a close friend today and noticed that she was feeling down. She tried to hide it, but I knew something was up. Turns out she's been feeling lost lately and has been thinking about a lot of things to the point that it's making her really sad. I was there to listen and wanted to cheer her up. We ended up having a nice time hanging out and she told me she felt better.

Whenever I'm feeling down I try to do things that are fun so that I can more easily pick myself up. Inaction can often be the worst thing we can do. If we don't do anything about our situation nothing will change and we'll be stuck feeling like crap. So the least we can do is try something. It can be anything: going out for a run, playing video games, eating ice-cream, etc. We might sometimes feel like we're worse-off than before, but it's the act of trying that's important. Once we try one thing we're more likely to try something else. As long as we keep looking we won't stay stuck forever.

One thing that depression does to people is suck all of the motivation out of them. It keeps them from trying anything because "what's the point". I've experienced depression and I know just how shitty it is. It's like getting curb-stomped by stiletto shoes. Life becomes grey and lifeless and nothing seems to have any meaning anymore. You feel numb yet you want to get out of it. It's a contradictory feeling that creates an insane cycle of giving up and trying desperately to change while deep down thinking that it's all futile. The only thing that seems to make sense is that everything sucks.

Luckily, I had a lot of responsibilities to keep me occupied: school, piano lessons, and my future to think about. I didn't want to do any of it, but because I had to do it I had something to help me get out of my depression. My piano playing became cathartic and helped me start feeling again. In college I relapsed and that's when I started getting into drawing. All of my pieces reflect what's going on in my mind and it's helped me to recognize and face my own inner demons.

Simply wishing for things to get better won't change anything, taking action will. Rather than doing things to escape our problems, I've come to believe that in order to get out of any rut we have to not only recognize and accept the fact that we're having problems, but also do things in order to work on ourselves. We must actively change our life condition. To avoid drowning, we don't have to sit there in the ocean waiting to be saved, we can swim our way out, too.

                                                                                                                         Peace
Avoid drowning
Just keep swimming and you can pick yourself up.

Comments