YoM Day 98: good connection

Yesterday, I talked about living a rich life. Today is a new day.
"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
In ancient Buddhist teachings, devoting oneself to serving others means to let go of the ego and server a higher purpose. In doing so we let go of the doubts, mistrust, and hesitation that comes with focusing our attention on ourselves. In learning to share everything, we have with others we have nothing to lose because such a mentality requires letting go of expectations and not seeing anything as truly ours. If everything is for everyone to enjoy, who are we to think we are the only ones who deserve or have earned certain things and not others?

Although not everyone won't agree with this mindset, it doesn't matter to me. I'm learning to act based on what I feel is right, not what others think I should be doing. As such, I've been working toward being more giving to others. I'm learning more compassion and empathy by practicing mindfulness. I'm seeing things I never used to notice prior to practicing mindfulness. I'm seeing other people more intimately, with more understanding of what's going on even when they don't say a thing. It gives me an increased sense of community that makes me feel more connected with everyone.

These last few months of learning to be more mindful has also made me more inclined to want to help people in my own way. As I've been working toward that, I've also inadvertently made improvements to myself. My health has gotten better, I'm not as stressed out over things, I'm more motivated to take care of myself (I've been eating more vegetables and fruits lately), and I've become more appreciative of everything. Lastly, the increased sense of interconnection with the people in my life just feels good.

It feels good to do good, but on my own terms and not anyone else's.

                                                                                                                                 Peace
Friendship
United we stand

Comments

  1. Try devoting yourself to doing all the good you can for a day and see how it feels.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment