YoM Day 97: a rich life

Yesterday, I talked about respect. Today is a new day.
"No one has ever become poor by giving." - Anne Frank
When people think about being rich, they often think about having money. I've always seen having money as being wealthy, however, life is so much more than your bank account.

To me, being rich is about how fulfilled you are in life. In the same way that eating ice-cream, taking substances, having one-night stands, and binge-watching Netflix for 8 hours doesn't fill that hole in your heart, having money (wealth) doesn't magically make people happier. In studies done on people who have won the lottery, for example, they're ecstatic at the start of their new life; however, as they grew accustomed to it they balanced out back to where they were prior to winning. I could be loaded in cash, having parties everyday (honestly that'd be miserable after a while), living lavishly in luxury, and playing video games all day, but I don't think that'd make me happy. That's just how people are: we adapt and get used to things.

To feel more fulfilled in life, a great way is to help others. One way to do that is giving. Another is just being open and honest to the people you interact with. Some of the happiest people I know don't have much money, but they spend their days giving to others and supporting their community. They may not have much in terms of wealth, but their lives are rich from the people they help and the experiences they share with them.

I've met a lot of teachers who don't really care about their students. As soon as class is over they want them out of the door and they want to move on to the "next one". They see teaching as a chore and the kids pick up on it. They look bored, uninterested, or miserable because those teachers only do the bear-minimum in their teaching. Most kids love being stimulated, so they love a good challenge (not too hard, but not too easy). I still have a lot to learn and work on as a teacher, but as I've opened up to my kids I've found that they've become more comfortable with me.

Even though I make plenty of mistakes, my kids always help me through them and I hope it's because they know I'm trying to push and challenge them into learning as much as they can. In a way, it tells me that they've learned enough to notice when I mess up. Knowing that they're learning makes me feel like what I'm doing is making an impact. That makes me proud and brings richness to my life.

                                                                                                                           Peace
Rich life
Giving has its own rewards

Comments

Post a Comment