YoM Day 96: respect

Yesterday, I talked about taking responsibility. Today is a new day.
"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." - Abraham Joshua Heshel
The other day I saw a video of a homeless man helping out a young homeless boy freezing in the cold. Without hesitation he saw the child, offered him his jacket, and then gave him some money so that he could get something to eat. The man talked about the importance of looking out for one-another, especially during hardships. Except the child (thankfully) wasn't actually homeless and was acting as a part of a social experiment. Despite this, the man's actions were still genuine and filled with kindness. His actions were selfless and something I respect.

Growing up in the states, we're taught that the people who get the highest grades will do the best in life. We're taught that being smart (though good grades don't always equate to higher intelligence) and working hard makes us better than others and is the key to success. It's a horseshit competition-based mentality and it makes a lot of people arrogant.

Although intelligence is still a thing to admire, I think it's what people do with their intellect that really garners respect. It's how these people contribute and bring value to the world that really matters. If you're just a smart, bitter jackass, there isn't much to admire. At the very least, being a smart, bitter jackass that has built a company that has provided utility and convenience to the world is pretty admirable. The difference lies in our actions. Most importantly, I think our intentions really make or break our impression of someone.

For me, I respect people who look out for others. I like people who aren't driven only by self-interest. I admire people who are genuine.

                                                                                                                       Peace
Working together
Respect is earned through our actions

Comments

  1. Today's assignment: what kind of people do you admire?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment